The Portico Gallery is based in the labyrinth which is Knights Hall situated on Knights Hill in West Norwood, Lambeth.
Entering the space is a joy; the shop front opens to a vast hall built in 1885 as the first and original West Norwood public hall. It has hosted theatrical productions and musicals, and indeed Charlie Chaplin performed here to an audience arriving in horse drawn carriages.
• Knights Hall ceased to be used as a community space after the first World War and sadly fell into disuse.
• 1995 saw the arrival of John Price who lovingly restored the grandeur of Knights Hall and introduced a mezzanine floor inspired by the proportions of the Musee d’Orsay in Paris.
• Knights Hall had hosted artistic events ranging from a popular Film club to regular yoga courses and children’s art events.
It was the success of these informal events that led friends John and Rick to develop the concept of The Portico Gallery.